Sunday, June 30, 2013

We are staying on an athletic field at the Payson Middle School.  We have access to one small bathroom and no shower.   The sea to sea people improvised a shower with a hose and that is what we have all been using.


Yesterday I joined a work crew of other Sea to Sea bikers and we painted a house as part of a Habitat for Humanity project.  My crew went out at 8:30 am.  We are over 5,000 ft elevation and the temperatures are still around 100 degrees by midday so it was good to get an early start.  We had about 20 people at the site on my crew and we accomplished a lot.  I was a painter, others did landscaping around the house and general clean-up.  Rudy Folkerts from Orange City, IA - brother-in-law of Shar Jelgerhuis was our project leader.  He did a great job of keeping us organized and productive.  We stopped at about 10:30 and  a second crew of Sea to Sea riders came out at 10:30 and worked until about 1:00 pm.

The rest of the morning I spent at the laundry mat washing my clothes from week one of the ride.  It was so hot in the afternoon that several of us decided to take in a movie in an air-conditioned theater. We saw Superman 3 in 3D.   I guess I now know the background of the Superman story.

Our bikes arrived around 3:30 and mine appears to have survived the journey well.  I took it out for a brief test ride.

After dinner, we walked over to a park where they had a country-western concert.  I didn't recognize  many of the songs - (Doug and Anne-I'm sure you would have loved it)  It was a beautiful night with no bugs or mosquitoes.

I want to congratulate Amber Fletcher, our fourth grade teacher at the Edina campus, who was married last night to Matt Busacker (sp?)!!!  I'm sorry I was not able to be there for the celebration.  

This morning I'm going to a Presbyterian Church with many others.  Church is at 10:00 am so I need to run.  (I'm uploading this from a MacDonalds which is about a mile away  from our camp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment