Thursday, July 11, 2013

Alamosa to Salita, CO


It was very cool when I woke up this morning.  I think it was in the low 60's.  It was the first night I actually crawled entirely into my sleeping bag.   I was on the road by 6:40.  The start of our 80 mile bike ride was on a very straight road that had a gradual climb.  We biked up to a summit of 9,010 ft.  We didn't have any real sharp inclines which made it easier.  A few of the bikers stopped in a cafe in a small town (Villa Grove) along the way.   As I was eating, in walked Del and Gwen Groen.  Del is not a relative but I knew him from past days when he was a CSI school administrator.  He is also a brother of Karen DeKam from Calvary Church.   Del and Gwen are moving with a U-haul and just happened to stop at this small cafe.  This was quite a coincidence.
    The ride to the top was slow and gradual but the ride down was steep.  I coasted for seven miles and reached speeds up to 42 miles per hour.  I was actually braking most of the way so I could have gone faster.

We are staying on the Fair Grounds tonight near Salita, CO.  We are surrounded on three sides by beautiful mountains.






They had a woman's roller derby tonight at the fair grounds.  This provided some interesting entertainment for us after our dinner and prior to our group meeting.

1 comment:

  1. Del and Gwen are also the parents of our superintendent, Ryan, who I think you met on the beach in Newport the day of the tire dipping. I sent him a link to this blog post as I'm sure he'll enjoy knowing you also ran into his folks on this trip. Small world! Glad you're doing well. It's fun following along with various blogs and hearing about what and amazing trip you are all having. Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete