Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Heber, AZ to St. John's, AZ

I slept in the gym at the Heber Middle School along with about 50 other bikers last night.  It was comfortable but I didn't know that they were going to leave the lights on in the gym all night.   I was up at 5:00 am, packed up, ate breakfast, and was on the road by 6:00 am.  It was a beautiful ride today. The road was up and down the entire way.  The climbs weren't bad - as compared to the one yesterday.  The road wasn't busy as well which allows us to communicate more with the other riders as we go.   I saw this long-horned bull along the road today.  We didn't have this kind of animal on our farm in Minnesota.

This is what the landscape looked like much of the day today.   We are about 5,700 ft elevation.

 A bunch of us stopped by the MacDonald's in Snowflake for coffee and a second breakfast.  We made it into St. John's by noon.   It  We biked 77 miles in less than four hours.  I was able to go 20 - 25 miles per hour most of the way.    We are staying in the city park in St. John's.  We are all in tents this time.  There is a pool next door which we can use free from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm tonight.   I'm currently in the library with about 15 other riders. We are all posting on our computers.

Bear sightings:  Several riders have seen bears along the road.  On Monday, Rod Ledeboer saw a couple of cubs cross the road.  Yesterday Bonita took a picture of a large bear eating the carcass of an elk.  I saw the picture she took of this.  The bear was only about 50 ft off the road.

I want to say "Hi" to any CCS students following my blog.  I hope your summer is going well.  Have a fun and safe Fourth of July!  You are invited to walk in the Edina and Richfield parades tomorrow as part of the CCS parade entree.  You can call the  school office for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment